Thursday, June 28, 2007

Roly Poly Foley

Crap. I've been one-upped by Mary Jo Foley yet again:
"Apple’s iPhone is going to be compatible with Microsoft Exchange Server, after all.

"While I can’t speak to Apple’s plans regarding Blackberry and Good, my sources are saying Apple can and will make the iPhone compatible with Exchange Server.

"Here’s what I’m hearing: Apple will announce this week — possibly as soon as June 27 — that it has licensed the Exchange ActiveSync licensing protocol. Via the licensing arrangement, Apple iPhone users will be able to connect to Exchange Server and make use of its wireless messaging and synchronization capabilities."

As to the news itself, this is obviously a good thing, because the iPhone is bound to be insecure. Once the first virus tunnels through the Enterprise via an iPhone, it's game over for Apple.

But as to the real issue at hand, I have to ask Steve Ballmer: Are you punishing me because I said I planned to buy an iPhone? How do you expect me to keep writing the most popular Windows Site in the galaxy if you don't give me dibs on these scoops? Seriously.

2 comments:

FakeDvorak said...

You should know better Paul. You should have done what I did Paul. We know enough Mactards who are buying an iPhone that we don't NEED to buy one ourselves to use one.

I'm borrowing Leo's review phone tomorrow, myself. I'm sure there was someone you could have asked. Hell, I'd even give you Leo's when I'm done with it, Leo will have another one by then and I'm sure it will only take me a day to figure out what is wrong with the thing for my review.

Don't do it Paul, Steve and Billy aren't bound to like it, and they're our bread and butter. I'm sure they'll forgive you if you say you were joking, that you never really planned to get one.

Anonymous said...

Caught your first, sight-unseen, review of the iPhone on the Supersite for Windows, Paul.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone_preview.asp

Clever piece. Throw in a little praise, because not to do so, everyone having seen the videos of the device and grasped what it's like, would make you look biased. Then immediately suggest there are big drawbacks:

"The product looks decent, even excellent. ... But there are some problems."

That was a classic maneuver.

Then you go straight in with a bogus implication (not exactly claim) that it would scratch. Harping on the keyboard thing, even though it is almost certainly a non-issue, was a given. But I liked that you mentioned POP3 mail but forgot to mention that the device will do IMAP--including, of couse, pushed IMAP.

This was an original and smart move:

"However, Safari is also an iPhone weakness as so few sites are designed for this niche browser. Why, oh why, couldn't Apple have just gone with the superior Firefox browser?"

In point of fact, Firefox is *not* "superior". Its rendering engine is bloated and unwieldy and even the people who work on the engine seem to hate it; it's ugly; it's poorly integrated with OS X; it's text-handling is inferior to Safari's and, unlike Sfari, it lacks support for color profiles. Currently, it does have better JavaScript support--but that gap is closing fast, and Safari 3 is a leap forwards. But this claim, bogus as it is, was a smart one to make--as you're not directly praising *Microsoft* but a third-party's software it *sounds* like fair comment.

It was a bit brazen of you to claim that Apple's figures ion battery life are false, specially since reviewers are saying they got *better* than Apple claimed. But perhaps it was worth throwing that in.

The bitching about storage and availability adds little. But then we get a staggeringly dishonest claim that the unit is expensive, based on a bogus comparison with an artificially "discounted" Motorola Q when you must be fully aware that the money will get clawed back on the contract. A bold move, and if your readers are suckers enough to fall for it, worth trying on.

Then you close with "Don't mistake my critical comments here as disparaging remarks." I think that was subtle. Having laid a few false trails why not finish on an upbeat note?

The piece was masterly in its way.